Beautiful Beef Carpaccio
With Lunar new year celebrations being restricted this year, we want to help make celebrating at home with friends and family that little bit more special.
With a range of premium British butchery from some of the most sustainable and considerate farms in the country, we have a variety of options for special home cooked dining and the restaurant at home experience.
1 fillet of beef
100g of olive oil
50g of Dijon mustard
2 sprigs of thyme
1 garlic clove, sliced
100ml of olive oil
10g of pink peppercorns
10g of Sichuan peppercorns
20g of black peppercorns
2 tsp thyme leaves
1. Whisk together the olive oil, Dijon mustard, thyme and garlic until combined. To make the spice rub, lightly crush together the pink Sichuan and black peppercorns in a pestle and mortar with the thyme leaves and spread out on a tray.
2. Trim the ends and all sinew away from the meat, then smother in a mixture of Dijon mustard, thyme and olive oil (or other ingredients for a different flavour) and roll in the crushed peppercorns
3. Tightly wrap the beef in cling film, keeping the cylindrical shape as symmetrical as possible, then place in the fridge for 15 minutes to firm up.
4. Unwrap the beef and sear in a very hot pan wit a dash of oil, just to seal the outside.
5. Wrap tightly in cling film again and place in the freezer for 1 hour to make slicing easier.
6.Remove the fillet from the freezer and slice as thinly as possible, about 2mm. Leaving the cling film on makes this easier, but make sure you remove any left on the slices.
7. Place the slices of beef between 2 sheets of parchment paper and roll with a rolling pin to make them even thinner, then store in the fridge until ready to serve.
Beef carpaccio is often served simply with a drizzle of olive oil and a few dashes of salt and pepper to not overwhelm the flavour of the meat. But you can garnish a carpaccio with other ingredients. We hope you enjoy! Make sure to share on your social media pages and tag us @elitemeatco and #eatbettermeat